Wednesday 6 August 2008

POETRY WEDNESDAY - RENEWAL


“It's time to renew our commitment to the world around us.” - Christopher Dodd

Well, I’m back with a new logic board and replaced firmware that had somehow got fried in my computer. This is the first serious hardware malfunction that I have had with my computer and considering it’s over 30 years that I have been using computers, I am considering myself very lucky. The other piece of luck was that the data on my hard disk had not been affected in the least, so it’s back to business, as usual. The need to constantly back-up data on one’s computer was highlighted by this little episode and I was thinking of whether I had lost the previous three weeks or so of work on it. I think from now on, a regular back-up is in order.

Poetry Wednesday today is dedicated to new starts, renewals and regeneration. It was a glorious Spring day here in Melbourne, a promise of the season well ahead and a sunny reaffirmation of September’s approach, even if rain and cold is promised for tomorrow and the day after.

Renewal

Even if Winter’s cold will burn the blades of grass,
The roots beneath the soil abide their time,
Their sleeping juices waiting for the call of Spring.
Grief and black melancholy may overtake us,
But if the heart still beats strong, there’s hope
And life will ease the sorrow.

Even if flesh is cut and blood is lost,
The living force within the tissue swells,
It heals, it scars, regenerates the damaged parts.
The cheap betrayals, all the petty squabbles,
Will wash over a generous soul that still believes
In human goodness, kindness, love.

Even if leafless twigs look dead, covered in snow,
The swelling buds throng with hidden, green energy
And the promised flowers await the beckoning of longer days.
Separation, long silences, lost intimacies and misunderstandings
Will all evaporate, as the renewed bonds are forged,
Now stronger than before.

No comments:

Post a Comment