Saturday 27 November 2010

FOR OLD LOVERS


“The tragedy of old age is not that one is old, but that one is young.” - Oscar Wilde

A very busy day today, even with the weather being cool, gray and wet… Lots of Spring showers and cool to warm temperatures are ensuring that our gardens are remaining lush, green and fresh. Our dams are continuing to fill and we may have a very cool summer ahead, or so the meteorologists have said.

We started the day by going to vote as it was our State Election today. It looks as though we may have another hung parliament on our hands if the coalition does not manage to oust the incumbent Labour Government. Fun and games ahead similar to what happened with our Federal Election a few months ago.

We then did our shopping, went to the library, did some chores and I did some work that I had to get ready for a Monday morning meeting. Then this evening we went out to a favourite  Chinese Restaurant where we enjoyed an excellent meal of endless course upon course.

The conversation turned to an acquaintance in her early 60s who has recently separated from her husband of more than thirty years… She has become depressed, melancholy, has started to drink. She spends the day alone in their house and leafs through photo albums. He has gone and looks ahead to however few years he still may have, while she looks back, reminiscing, reliving their shared lives,  all because she still loves him.

The music tonight is for her. For reflection and for reopening old wounds, as well as for healing them. Here is the now classic and beautiful Jacques Brel ballad “La Chanson des Vieux Amants” (The Song of the Old Lovers) sung by another French great, Yves Duteil.



“…But, I my love,
My sweet, my tender, marvellous love,
From the clear dawn to the end of the day,
I still love you, you know that I still love you…”

2 comments:

  1. This post touched my heart a bit. I was listening to Yves Duteil this week myself - a favorite of my late-ex. I know how your friend feels as I was in exactly that place a couple of years ago. And then just a year later he died of a heart attack. Now about a year and a half later, small things still trigger the memories. If there is one thing I would tell your friend is that we are the survivors. We are still here and we still have a life ahead. I remember the happy and good times, as there were many. I sigh because we will not grow old together. Drinking will numb the pain temporarily, but it will steal the future. I have managed not to resort to that, thank goodness. I wish the best for your friend. And thank you for this beautiful, beautiful tune.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this, Nicholas! Wonderful music, terrific singer and lovely words.
    I hope your friend finds a way out of her terrible situation soon. I am sure that you will be providing some advice and support...

    ReplyDelete