Tuesday 10 May 2011

WALKING IN THE RAIN


“Every heart sings a song, incomplete, until another heart whispers back. Those who wish to sing always find a song. At the touch of a lover, everyone becomes a poet.” -  Plato

An unexpected, very special lunch date today and despite the miserable autumn day, a radiant warmness in my heart! It is this heat that dictated this poem today…

Walking in the Rain


The pattern of copper leaves on wet, gray sidewalk
A jigsaw in disarray –
The broken image of a season of discontent.
Sharp claws of cold scratch my face
While rain falls relentlessly
The river merging imperceptibly with the wet air.

I walk determined, ignoring my wet trouser legs,
Shivering even under layers of clothes
That fail to insulate me, leave me exposed
To late autumn weather;
The thought of you warms my core
And your sunny smile remembered moves me forward.

A sudden wind gust catches umbrellas
Turning them inside out, upside down,
And their owners struggle to discipline them.
The rain keeps falling
As I keep walking, each step takes me
Closer to you, my warm and cosy haven.

A homeless man wrapped in a dirty blanket
Sleeps fitfully as the rain soaks him
His wet hat failing to acknowledge the sound of my coin
Falling in its empty depths.
You are my home and no rain will keep me away
From your snug embrace.

I am soaked now but I can see your door,
All lit up brightly, a beacon in the gloom;
I smile, oblivious to the icy, biting wind
That only fans my ardour more,
This stolen hour just after midday
On a cold, wet, gray – but oh, so beautiful – day!

4 comments:

  1. What a lovely poem, Nick.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, I love this poem, Nicholas!
    The warmth of the loving heart guarding against the winter weather...
    Beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great poem with nice images.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love this poem Nic!!!!!

    ReplyDelete