Wednesday 7 September 2016

POETS UNITED - BLOOMS

“If your heart is a volcano, how shall you expect flowers to bloom?” - Khalil Gibran

This week, Poets United is looking at “Blooms”. The challenge is: “In a new poem, add a bloom to our bouquet.”
Here is mine:

Faded Blooms

Pressed between the yellowed pages
Of an old diary,
Some faded blooms you once gave me.
Memories of a Spring long gone
And of a love, alas, forlorn.

As if the flowers weren’t enough,
I read the pages,
Reliving agonies in cursive script:
My heart to you was given whole
Gifted was I, yours, body and soul.

The years have passed, I have survived,
Hollow perhaps,
But with a heart regenerated.
Fresh blooms in icy Winter flower,
December roses now adorn my bower.

Time flows like an endless river forward,
I float and swim,
Refuse in swirling eddies to drown.
Experience makes my garden grow
Blooms in my glasshouse shall I sow.

Your faded flowers a bitter souvenir
Of lesson learnt;
A life that stopped, restarted, grew.
Young buds now have I in abundance,
And love aplenty in redundance.

Ah, how the wheel of time quickly turns,
And how our life old baggage burns…
Wisdom of heart allows old wounds to heal,
Lets us new pleasures, joys fresh to feel.


15 comments:

  1. How I love this:
    "Time flows like an endless river forward,
    I float and swim,
    Refuse in swirling eddies to drown.
    Experience makes my garden grow
    Blooms in my glasshouse shall I sow."

    You remind me that the poet Rilke said that each love is a learning, a preparation for more mature love. He says much more in "Letters to a Young Poet." Your poem combines sweet grief with a sweeter present. Love.

    ReplyDelete
  2. "Pressed between the yellowed pages
    Of an old diary,
    Some faded blooms you once gave me."....this says so much...

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is so uplifting. I loved the line "Experience makes my garden grow."

    ReplyDelete
  4. A lovely poem which warms the cockles of an aging heart.
    Love knows no barriers.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is gorgeous writing, Nicholas :D your poem inspired me to write mine.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love the Gibran quote!!!!!!! "December roses now adorn my bower" is such a beautiful line. Also "Experience makes my garden grow". I love "Young buds now have I in abundance." Uplifting and wonderful to read.

    ReplyDelete
  7. That glass house feels like the centre of this bloom - finding peace within and space and light and sun to grow..we don't always get it 'right' but perhaps the trick is trying and keeping planting those little buds

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yes, indeed as time goes on old baggage burns, and we are able to feel joy again...no longer feeling the hollowness of mourning things long past! Your poetry never disappoints, Nick.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Gorgeous poem. I love, 'December roses now adorn my bower.'

    ReplyDelete
  10. Reliving agonies in cursive script.
    beautiful words. loved the rhyme scheme

    ReplyDelete
  11. I think this is my favorite this week. I like the thought of a heart regenerated and that blooms can last far beyond their lifetimes.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Great poem contrasting nicely being in love when young and loving when older...

    ReplyDelete
  13. What a cool form you've come up with here. Love the little "comment couplets" after each verse!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Wisdom of heart allows old wounds to heal,
    Lets us new pleasures, joys fresh to feel.

    Fresh flowers can instill that feeling of amending wisdom to lead to endless joys!

    Hank

    ReplyDelete