Wednesday 8 February 2017

POETS UNITED - SPACE

“Keep love in your heart. A life without it is like a sunless garden when the flowers are dead.” – Oscar Wilde

I have been very busy working hard these past few weeks and hence have had little spare time that has to be apportioned very sparingly according to a strict set of priorities. Nevertheless, late at night behind the closed door of my study, when I can shut everyone and everything out, I allow myself a little latitude and I can take some time to be creative.

Here is a poem just written for the Poets United Midweek Motif challenge, which this week is all about “Space”.

To Let

There is a space in my heart: To Let –
Ever since you left,
A huge, echoing space the size of the universe
All enclosed in that small, fist-sized organ
Of shuddering flesh,
That is my empty heart.

There is a space in my heart: To Let –
Ever since you left,
I have been walking in there endlessly
And my footsteps echo hollow,
Each step taking great effort,
Each step leaving behind great pain.

There is a space in my heart: To Let –
It is very clean,
And quiet; warm in Winter, cool in Summer,
Of Northerly aspect – and the best of all,
It has a garden with great potential –
A little care will make it bloom.

There is a space in my heart: To Let –
Going cheaply –
In fact no money need change hands –
All that I need to fill it is sincerity,
Some affection, tenderness, understanding.
Love may enter as a sub-letter later.

16 comments:

  1. a clever use of 'to let' space here :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! An advertisement I wish I had written. Perhaps by now, that space in me is filled with Light.
    "the size of the universe
    All enclosed in that small, fist-sized organ
    Of shuddering flesh . . ."

    ReplyDelete
  3. A very sweet poem Nicholas.You are going to be overwhelmed with applicants:)

    ReplyDelete
  4. A touching interpretation of space. You will have your share of tenants!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is very lovely. The repetition underscores the message wonderfully, and I love the garden with great potential.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Space to Let and what a reasonable price. Luv it

    Happy Wednesday

    Much love...

    ReplyDelete
  7. Well done! I particularly like the first stanza.

    ReplyDelete
  8. There is a space in my heart: To Let –
    Ever since you left,
    I have been walking in there endlessly
    And my footsteps echo hollow,
    Each step taking great effort,
    Each step leaving behind great pain.


    These lines are soo beautiful... so evocative!!❤️

    ReplyDelete
  9. The best things in life are free, right? Your space is welcoming.
    Lovely writing.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I feel the enormity of that space and it makes me sad for I feel the same.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I feel strains of Poe here...a heart telling its tale, and that "To Let" almost becomes bloodletting, for me. This is a powerful piece.

    ReplyDelete
  12. What an amusing but sincere plea for love this is and a delightful read.

    ReplyDelete
  13. ah, the empty space someone else can make inside us!
    wonderful and emotional.

    ReplyDelete
  14. This is brilliant,, Nicholas! Uniquely worded, and imaged.

    ReplyDelete
  15. It has a garden with great potential –
    A little care will make it bloom.

    So much to look forward to if a heart is all open for a loved one!

    Hank

    ReplyDelete
  16. When do we sign the lease? A lovely poem, Nicholas!

    ReplyDelete